The Laws of Florida (§377.705, FS) require that all solar systems manufactured or sold in the state of Florida comply with Solar Equipment Standards promulgated by the Florida Solar Energy Center® (FSEC®). The solar certification and testing standards cover both solar thermal equipment and solar electric equipment. FSEC works closely with industry, the research and development community, and other interested stakeholders to ensure that its Standards encourage the effective use of renewable energy resources and protect the consumers of the state of Florida.
Photovoltaic (PV) system certification covers any type of solar electric system that is either interconnected with the utility grid or is a stand-alone system. FSEC examines PV systems for compliance to minimum standards and industry-recognized best practices. The system evaluation is based on the complete design and documentation packages that accompany the application for design review.
- Apply for PV System Certification Using Online Application
- Legacy FSEC PV System Certification Application [ PDF] | FSEC Standard 203-17
Note: Only use this application if the controller, batteries or FSEC-registered PV module used in your system are not yet listed on the online application process
- Certified PV Systems List
- Need help with Photovoltaic System Certification? Email: email@example.com
Photovoltaic Module Registration
FSEC rates photovoltaic equipment for performance, examines it for compliance to minimum standards, and FSEC-approved PV equipment bears FSEC’s label of certification. Note: Modules must be registered for use in FSEC PV-certified systems.
- Apply for PV Module Registration Using Online Application| FSEC Standard 201-10
- Registered PV Modules List
- Need help with PV Module registration? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photovoltaic Module Testing
FSEC performs module testing and research for durability, reliability, and root cause analysis of failures.
Testing & Certification Fees
Florida Statute requires that FSEC set fees that recover the costs of the testing, certification and rating services required for solar equipment and systems in Florida. Click here to view fee structure [136KB, Adobe Acrobat PDF].
Solar Thermal (Domestic Hot Water and Pool Heating)
The FSEC Standards for solar thermal collectors and solar thermal systems accept certifications from the Solar Rating & Certification Corporation™ (SRCC) or the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO). A streamlined certification program removes barriers between the FSEC certification process and the SRCC and IAPMO certification processes.
Although FSEC is no longer conducting standardized testing of solar thermal collectors and systems, existing FSEC certifications will be valid and maintained. FSEC encourages solar thermal venders to apply for new certifications through SRCC or IAPMO as national certifications.
- Accredited Test Laboratories for standardized solar thermal tests
- FSEC Standards for solar thermal collectors and systems (FSECstd 101-15)
Verification of the authenticity of solar thermal collector or system certification can be determined at the following links:
- FSEC Solar Thermal Certifications
- SRCC Solar Thermal Certifications
- IAPMO Solar Thermal Certifications