FSEC Advisory Board Meeting
October 30, 2017
10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
CCTS Conference Room
1679 Clearlake Road, Cocoa, FL 32922-5703
|10:00 a.m.||Welcome||Dave Winslow, Chair|
|10:10 a.m.||Approval of March 3, 2017 Meeting Minutes||Dave Winslow, Chair|
|10:15 a.m.||Presentation: Status of FSEC Programs||Jim Fenton|
|10:30 a.m.||Presentation: Publix’s Energy Response During Hurricane Irma
Report of Florida Energy Office
|11:00 a.m.||US DOE’s PV Regional Test Center (RTC) Program
Opportunities for Partnership [Today 20 industry partners and 549 kW of PV at five sites (one at FSEC)]
|Laurie Burnham, RTC Program Director, Sandia National Labs|
|11:20 a.m.||Presentation: Clean Cities (Alternative Fuel Transportation)||Doug Kettles|
|11:30 a.m.||Presentation: Florida Power & Light Energy Storage. Opportunities for Partnership||Cory Ramsel, Sr. Director FPL Development|
|12:00 p.m.||UF Solar Gators Formula Sun Grand Prix||Chris Komarav, Student UF|
|12:15 p.m.||Lunch (Buffet)
UF Solar Gators Formula Sun Grand Prix (Show and Tell)
|1:05 p.m.||UCF Energy Update||Dave Norvell|
|1:15 p.m.||City of Orlando Energy Update||Chris Castro|
|1:25 p.m.||Development of Working Groups Update
Utility and Commercial Consumers
|1:50 p.m.||Board Business
Attendees: Paul Allen, Tommy Boroughs, Michael Burroughs, Chris Castro, Mike Faas, James Fenton, William Grieco, Byron Knibbs, Tony Martin (for Kelley Burk), Richard Nortz, David Norvell, Cory Ramsel, David Robau (call in), Helda Rodriguez, Louis Rotundo, Jennifer Szaro, David Winslow
Invited Guests: Laurie Burnham, Sandia Nat’l. Labs; Dave Click, ESA; Angela Cook, UF Solar Gators; Vrushank Desai; UF Solar Gators; Bruce Lindsay, Brevard Public Schools; Justin Vanderbroeck, ESA; Sarah Winslow, UF Solar Gators; Andy Yang, UF Solar Gators
FSEC Staff: Paul Brooker, Philip Fairey, Safvat Kalaghchy, Doug Kettles, Eric Martin, Danny Parker, Nan Qin, Bob Reedy, Susan Schleith, Winston Schoenfeld, John Sherwin, Sherri Shields, JoAnn Stirling, Rob Vieira, Joe Walters
- Chairman David Winslow called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m. and welcomed board members and guests. Members, guests and FSEC staff introduced themselves.
- Winslow asked that the minutes from the March 3, 2017 meeting be reviewed. Bill Grieco made a motion to approve minutes as written and seconded by Chris Castro. Minutes were approved unanimously.
- Jim Fenton gave an overview on the status of FSEC programs and federally funded partnerships. Presentation: Status of FSEC Programs
- Winslow introduced Mike Faas. Faas explained Hurricane Irma’s impact and how Publix has been preparing for major hurricanes since the 2004-2005 hurricane season. Presentation: Publix’s Energy Response During Hurricane Irma
- Jim Fenton introduced Tony Morgan (substitute for Kelley Burk) and asked for an update on the Florida Energy Office. Morgan highlighted some of the work being done at the Energy Office, including fuel storage capabilities as a result of Hurricane Irma, the REET program, and the FRED program now covering aquaculture and photovoltaics on poultry houses. Morgan said to check their website for the current status of these programs, http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Energy. Castro asked if there would be any new energy policies coming up in this year’s Legislature and Morgan did not think there would be any. Winslow asked for any other questions or comments.
- Louis Rotundo reiterated that he did not expect any significant energy related legislature in the upcoming session.
- Morgan indicated that the Volkswagen settlement management would be decided by the Governor in January 2018.
- Winslow asked how to apply for funds from the VW settlement. Morgan said it will be posted once the Governor has decided on which agencies will handle the program.
- John Sherwin introduced Laurie Burnham, Sandia National Labs, who gave an overview of Sandia and the Regional Test Center Program. Presentation: US DOE PV Regional Test Center Program Opportunities for Partnership. They are extremely happy with the work FSEC is doing. It was announced for FY19, however, that Regional Test Centers in NM, VT, and FL must be self-sustaining per the President.
- Cory Ramsel made presentation of FPL Battery Technologies Showcase and Opportunities for Partnership. Presentation: Florida Power & Light Energy Storage
- Winslow introduced the UF Solar Gators team. They gave an overview of their organization and gave a presentation on the Solar Gators Formula Sun Grand Prix
- Meeting adjourned at 12:15.
- Winslow started the afternoon session at 1:05. He introduced Dave Norvell who gave an UCF Energy Update. Norvell explained that the University has three main goals: 1. Carbon sustainability; 2. Zero waste; and 3. Concepts of sustainability and how to implement them.
- Chris Castro gave a City of Orlando Energy Update. Castro asked Byron Knibbs to highlight some to the activities that OUC are involved in.
- Winslow introduced Jennifer Szaro to make presentation on Development of Working Groups Update.
- Jim Fenton talked about creating two working groups: utility and commercial consumers. There was a short initial meeting held after the Advisory Board meeting to discuss the feasibility of these working groups.
- Winslow asked if there was any board business to discuss. The next meeting should be held in the February/March time frame. It was suggested that a Doodle poll be sent out soon (before the end of this year) to select dates.Dave Winslow will be completing his two-year term as chairman at that meeting. Mike Faas will move from vice chair position to chair. Fenton asked for nominations for vice chairman and an election will be held at the next meeting. Winslow suggested that the candidates should represent the producer side since Faas (who will become chairman) represents the user side. Fenton stated that there used to be an advisory board executive committee and perhaps one should be reinstated.
David Winslow, Chairman