FSEC Policy Advisory Board Meeting
October 23, 2015
10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
CCTS Conference Room
1679 Clearlake Road, Cocoa, FL 32922-5703
|10:00 a.m.||Welcome and Introductions||Buck Martinez
|10:10 a.m.||Approval of December 12, 2014 Meeting Minutes||Buck Martinez|
|10:15 a.m.||Status of FSEC Programs||Jim Fenton|
|10:30 a.m.||Discussion of Federal and State Energy Policy
Report of Florida Energy Office
Kelley Smith Burk
|11:00 a.m.||Gulf Power Solar Energy Projects in Florida||Michael Burroughs
(Vice President & Senior Production Officer, Gulf Power Company)
|11:30 a.m.||Industry Partnerships with Florida’s c-Si Photovoltaic Manufacturing Consortium||William Schoenfeld
(Director, c-Si PVMC)
|11:45 a.m.||The International Consortium for Advanced Manufacturing Research (ICAMR)
Osceola County, Florida
(Executive Director, Operations and Technology Programs)
|1:00 p.m.||Future Energy Research Funding Brainstorming
(Opportunities in Energy Systems Integrations)
|1:40 p.m.||Board Business
Attendees: John Anderson, Addison Bain, Kelley Smith Burk, Michael Burroughs, Mike Faas, James Fenton, Dan Holladay, Tom Lawery, Buck Martinez, Louis Rotundo, M.J. Soileau, David Winslow
Invited Guests: Helda Rodriguez, NovaCharge; Paul Zombo, Siemens
FSEC Staff: Paul Brooker, Mary Huggins, Colleen Kettles, Eric Martin, Danny Parker, Ali Raissi, Richard Raustad, Winston Schoenfeld, Sherri Shields, JoAnn Stirling, Rob Vieira
- Meeting was called to order at 10:25 by Buck Martinez. The start of the meeting was delayed due to an incident with a barge and the SR 528 bridge. Roadway was closed for two hours causing several attendees to arrive late. Prior to the start of the meeting Richard Raustad gave a brief summary of the EV Summit held at FSEC Oct. 20-22, 2015. Introductions were made.
- Martinez said the Advisory Board should meet more often since there is a lot going on in the energy field. Jim Fenton said that although the bylaws state that one meeting per year is required, there have traditionally been two meetings a year and suggested using Go-To-Meetings to cut down on travel. David Winslow said the topic should be discussed in the afternoon. Martinez offered using the FPL Diagnostic Center for a meeting location.
- Minutes from the December 12, 2014 meeting were reviewed. A motion was made by Winslow to approve minutes and was seconded by Tom Lawery. Minutes unanimously approved as submitted.
- Jim Fenton gave a presentation on the status of FSEC programs highlighting:FSEC doing more with EVs, 5 articles in Interface Magazine (available on FSEC web site)
- EV Summit, Oct. 20-22, 2015
- 2014 R&D 100 Awards bestowed on several FSEC researchers
- 7 year external review
- Grid challenges/integration
- New FSEC division – Energy Systems Integration Division, will be hiring a new division director and three researchers
- 11 new energy faculty cluster hires
- Several small grants with Navy
- Martinez noted that FPL should have a dialog with FSEC when making their future strategic plans other than solar, i.e., storage and grid integration.
- Kelley Smith Burk highlighted activities at the Office of Energy
- Michael Burroughs gave presentation on projects at Gulf Power Company.
- Martinez recently spoke to energy heads from many Caribbean countries. Electric rates are high in island nations and they are eager for help. There are opportunities for FSEC is get involved with these island nations.
- Winston Schoenfeld gave presentation on the industrial partnerships and activities of PVMC.
- Adjourned for lunch at 12:30.
- Meeting reconvened at 1:00.
- Dan Holladay gave presentation on ICAMR, a consortium for manufacturing smart sensors and explained the tie in with UCF.
- Martinez suggested Florida Trend be contacted to do a story on ICAMR and Mark Wilson, Florida Chamber of Commerce, be invited to the next Advisory Board meeting.
- Martinez will be hosting Bridging Americas Through Clean Energy Conference, December 4, 2015 in Miami. FSEC should have a presence at the conference.
- David Winslow asked about the state of the solar industry. Discussion followed.
- John Anderson asked about the two ballot initiatives on solar activities that are before the Florida legislature. Discussion followed.
- Fenton stated next advisory board meeting does not have to coincide with the Florida legislature. Per revision of bylaws we will have election for new vice chairman at the next meeting. In the future some meetings may be held off-site or electronically.
- Martinez believes we need to expand the scope of FSEC to cover more than solar. Perhaps hold a forum and invite outsiders to explain other strengths/abilities of FSEC.
- Motion made to adjourn meeting and was seconded. Meeting adjourned at 2:00 p.m.