FSEC Policy Advisory Board Meeting
December 12, 2014
10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
CCTS Conference Room
1679 Clearlake Road, Cocoa, FL 32922-5703
|10:00 a.m.||Welcome and Introductions||Buck Martinez
|10:10 a.m.||Approval of April 18, 2014 Meeting Minutes||Buck Martinez|
|10:15 a.m.||Status of FSEC Programs||Jim Fenton|
|10:30 a.m.||The U.S. Energy Future
(Visioning presentation as to how Buildings, Solar, Vehicles and the Grid come together)
(Chief Architect, Building Technologies DOE EERE)
|11:15 a.m.||Smart SWOT analysis of FSEC
(A structured planning method used to evaluate the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats involved in FSEC’s future)
|Dr. Bob Porter
(UCF College of Business)
|12:30 p.m.||Lunch (Buffet)|
|1:15 p.m.||Discussion of Federal and State Energy Policy
Report of Florida Energy Office
|1:45 p.m.||Board Business
Attendees: Paul Allen, John Anderson, Luz Aviles, Addison Bain, Michael Burroughs, Pat Christiansen, Mike Faas, James Fenton, Larry Hufford, Jon Ippel, Steven James, John Leeds, Buck Martinez (by phone), Louis Rotundo, M.J. Soileau, David Winslow
Invited Guests: Melissa Francisco, UCF; Karen Kicirski, Lifestyle Homes; Tom Lawery, Duke Energy; Bob Porter, UCF; Sam Rashkin, U.S. DOE
FSEC Staff: Bryan Amos, Philip Fairey, John Harrison, David Hoak, Mary Huggins, Eric Martin, Ali Raissi, Bob Reedy, Susan Schleith, JoAnn Stirling, Karen Sutherland, Rob Vieira
- Vice Chairman David Winslow called meeting to order at 10:00 a.m. and asked for introductions to be made. Jim Fenton mentioned that the meeting was being filmed for in-house use only.
- Minutes from the April 18, 2014 meeting were reviewed. A motion was made to approve minutes and seconded. Minutes approved as submitted.
- Jim Fenton gave an brief overview on each of the following FSEC programs:
- Building America
- Electric Vehicle Transportation Center
- PV Manufacturing Consortium
- Solar Instructor Training Network
- Clean Cities
- Regional Test Center
- FEEDER, Foundations for Engineering Education for Distributed Energy Resources
- EnergyWhiz Olympics
- Philip Fairey introduced Sam Rashkin, U.S. DOE. Rashkin gave a presentation on the U.S. Energy Future, including efficiencies in the energy code, comparing standards for Energy Star and Zero Energy Ready Homes.
- Bob Porter and Melissa Francisco covered a Smart SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats) analysis of FSEC. A survey was emailed to Advisory Board prior to meeting and results were passed out for discussion. The results were summarized as:Strengths: Research & Development; Service; Operations
Weaknesses: Vision/Alignment; Brand/Awareness; Funding
Opportunities: Partnerships; Funding; State/Federal Regulations
Threats: Federal Regulations; Funding; Competitive Rivalry
- Adjourned for lunch at 12:35.
- Reconvened meeting at 1:25.
- John Leeds highlighted activities at the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
- Jon Ippel highlighted activities in City of Orlando.
- Winslow asked about any Advisory Board business. Buck Martinez said there should be a follow up on the SWOT analysis. Fenton will work with Porter and Francisco. There will be an external review team visiting FSEC April 12 – 14, 2015 to conduct a seven-year UCF center review. The output for that review will be available at the next Advisory Board Meeting.
- Winslow asked about the date for the next Advisory Board meeting. Louis Rotundo suggested the last week of February, before the Florida Legislature goes into session. Fenton pointed out that a meeting before the session would be nice, but a meeting after the external review would be best. Fenton suggested Friday, May 1, 2015, the day before the Energy Whiz Olympics at FSEC.
- Motion made to adjourn meeting and was seconded. Meeting adjourned at 2:00 p.m.
for Buck Martinez, Chairman