FSEC Policy Advisory Board Meeting
April 18, 2014
10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
CCTS Conference Room
1679 Clearlake Road
Cocoa, FL 32922-5703
|10:00 a.m.||Welcome and Introductions||Buck Martinez
|10:10 a.m.||Approval of November 21, 2013 Meeting Minutes||Buck Martinez|
|10:15 a.m.||FSEC Video
|10:30 a.m.||Discussion of Federal and State Energy Policy
Report of Florida Energy Office
|11:10 a.m.||Drive Electric Florida
(A statewide multi-stakeholder coalition consisting of utilities, electric vehicle manufacturers, Department of Energy Clean Cities Coalitions, environmental groups, local governments, and electric vehicle industry experts)
(Director, GM Advanced Vehicle Commercialization Policy)
|11:40 a.m.||Opportunities for Alternative Fuel Vehicles at Military Installations||Jim Fenton for
(Executive Director, Gulf Coast Energy Network)
|1:00 p.m.||Future Energy Research Funding Brainstorming||Jim Fenton|
|1:40 p.m.||Board Business
Attendees: Paul Allen, Luz Aviles, Addison Bain, Tommy Boroughs, Michael Burroughs, Griff Carrison, Pete DeNapoli, Mike Faas, Jim Fenton, Nick Guarriello, C.T. Hsu, Larry Hufford, Jon Ippel, Steven James, Jim Lentz, Buck Martinez, Roger Messenger, Louis Rotundo, Patrick Sheehan, MJ Soileau
Invited Guests: Brian Allen, ASES; Britta Gross, General Motors; Matt Lawrence, Lawrence Development Group; Helda Rodriguez, NovaCharge Inc.; Jennifer Szaro, Orlando Utilities Commission
FSEC Staff: Dave Block, Thron Crowe, Philip Fairey, Mary Huggins, Colleen Kettles, Eric Martin, Nahid Mohajeri, Ali Raissi, Rich Raustad, Bob Reedy, Sherri Shields, JoAnn Stirling, Rob Vieira, Nick Waters
- Jim Fenton called the meeting to order at 10:10 a.m. and asked for introductions to be made. Sherri Shields mentioned that the meeting was being recorded.
- Minutes from the November 21, 2013 PAB meeting were passed out for review. Motion made to approve minutes and was seconded. Minutes approved as submitted.
- Fenton showed new FSEC video. Video can be viewed at https://vimeo.com/92735484. Fenton praised Sherri Shields and Nick Waters for their work on making the video which showcases where FSEC is today and where it would like to be in the future. Fenton also spoke on the status of FSEC programs. Highlights included:
- K-12 education update
- EnergyWhiz Olympics to be held at FSEC May 3, 2014
- UCF/FSEC partnerships: Building America, Clean Cities, FEEDER, Go Solar, Electric Vehicle Transportation Center
- Fenton asked group to think about what are possible cooperative programs that FSEC can conduct with industry stakeholders and will discuss in afternoon session
- Buck Martinez – There is a Department of Energy SunShot Grand Summit Challenge in Anaheim, CA, May 19-22. He will be attending and asked for some talking points.Flip chart:
Year end event
value of water
Buck will also be speaking at the CAMACOL conference in Miami. This includes Chambers from Latin America
Emerge Conference/Camaio – Caribbean, Central and South America
- Patrick Sheehan presented highlights of the Florida Energy Office.
- Martinez suggested a discussion on water consumption and the related cost for energy generation.
- Britta Gross gave presentation on Drive Electric Florida and the EV market.
- Meeting adjourned at 12:00 for lunch.
- Meeting reconvened at 12:50.
- Fenton gave presentation for Dave Robau (absent) on Opportunities for Alternative Fuel Vehicles at Military Installations.
- Martinez listed some opportunities for FSEC to pursue.
- A certification of appreciation was presented to Tommy Boroughs for his service as chair of the Policy Advisory Board from 2008 to 2013.
- Motion made to adjourn meeting and seconded. Meeting adjourned at 2:10.