FSEC Policy Advisory Board Meeting
November 21, 2013
10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
CCTS Conference Room
1679 Clearlake Road, Cocoa, FL 32922-5703
|10:00 a.m.||Welcome and Introductions||B. Martinez
|10:10 a.m.||Approval of February 15, 2013 Meeting Minutes||B. Martinez|
|10:15 a.m.||Status of FSEC Programs (RTC, SunSmart, Building America, Clean Cities, FEEDER, DOT EV Center)
|10:30 a.m.||Renaming of “Policy Advisory Board” to “Advisory Board”
Discussion of Federal and State Energy Policy
Report of Florida Energy Office
|11:10 a.m.||FEEDER (Foundations for Engineering Education for Distributed Energy Resources) Consortium||Zhihua Qu
|11:30 a.m.||Energy Training and Research Opportunities at Florida Air Force Bases||D. Robau
(Gulf Coast Energy Network)
|1:00 p.m.||Drive Electric Orlando||C. Chandler
|1:20 p.m.||Future Energy Research Opportunity Brainstorming||B. Martinez)|
|1:40 p.m.||Board Business
Attendees: Paul Allen, John Anderson, Addison Bain, Pete DeNapoli, Mike Faas, Gary Freeman, Nick Guarriello, Larry Hufford, Buck Martinez, Jim Fenton, Ed Regan, Louis Rotundo, Patrick Sheehan, MJ Soileau, David Winslow
Invited Guests: Carson Chandler, Parquet Group; Darryll Dockstader, FDOT; Robert McDaniel, FDOT; Zhihua Qu, UCF; Dave Robau, Gulf Coast Energy Network
FSEC Staff: Dave Block, Dave Click, Philip Fairey, Mary Huggins, Ali Raissi, Bob Reedy, Sherri Shields, JoAnn Stirling
- Buck Martinez called the meeting to order at 10:10 a.m. and asked for introductions to be made.
- Minutes from the February 15, 2013 PAB meeting were passed out. Motion to approve was made. Addison Bain asked if someone from the U.S. Department of Energy had been invited to attend this meeting as suggested in February minutes. Buck Martinez said that U.S. DOE might participate next year. Motion to approve minutes was seconded.
- Fenton gave presentation on the status of FSEC programs. Highlights included:
- Overview of FSEC contracts
- EnergyWhiz Olympics to be held at FSEC May 3, 2014. A first-time regional event will be held in Gainesville, April 2014. Martinez suggested an event should be held in south Florida.
- UCF/FSEC partnerships: FEEDER, Go Solar, Electric Vehicle Transportation Center
- FSEC opportunities: partnership with U.S. Air Force at Eglin Air Force Base
- FSEC funding challenges
- FSEC division updates
- Martinez started discussion to change the name of the “Policy Advisory Board” to “FSEC Advisory Board”. He asked if anyone had objections to changing the name. Discussion followed. Several suggestions were made to change Article IV, Section 1 of the Bylaws. An email will be sent out asking for comments and it will be discussed and brought up for a vote at the next meeting in 2014.
ARTICLE IV. MEMBERS OF BOARD
Section 1. Members of the Board. Members of the Board shall be appointed by the Director of FSEC. Membership of the Board will change with time and will reflect in its membership the appointment of individuals or organizations that can help FSEC best achieve its vision, future and programmatic success. Possible types of Board members are individuals from universities, the energy industry, the home building industry, the electrical utilities, design and consulting professions, the Energy Office, the Legislature, education, and any other appropriate areas or organizations related to energy activities in Florida. Suggestions:
- Change the word “Policy” to “Program” or “Project”
- Delete the last sentence of Article IV, Section 1
- Delete portion of last sentence of Article IV, Section 1 to read “Possible types of Board members are individuals from organizations related to energy activities in Florida.”
- Patrick Sheehan presented highlights of the Florida Energy Office.
- Louis Rotundo discussed a bill sponsored by Sen. Simmons on water, reclaimed water.
- UCF Prof. of Electrical Engr., Zhihua Qu, made a presentation on the FEEDER consortium. He outlined idea of “smart grid”, faculty and partners, universities and labs involved and the consortium’s objectives.
- Meeting adjourned at 12:05 for lunch.
- Meeting reconvened at 1:00.
- Colleen Kettles gave overview on the Clean Cities program and introduced Carson Chandler, Parquet Group.
- Carson Chandler gave presentation on the Drive Electric Orlando program.
- Martinez began brainstorming session on how to market FSEC. Discussions ensued including whether to change FSEC’s name and how to market FSEC. Motion was made to table discussions. David Winslow made a motion to form a team to investigate this issue. Martinez seconded and a vote was unanimously approved. An email will be sent out to form a committee to help market FSEC.
- A certification of appreciation was awarded to Tommy Boroughs for his service as chair of the Policy Advisory Board from 2008 to 2013. The certificate will be given to Boroughs at the next meeting since he was not in attendance.
- Next meeting will be held in February 2014.
- Motion made to adjourn meeting and seconded. Meeting adjourned at 2:10.