FSEC Policy Advisory Board Meeting
CCTS Conference Room
1679 Clearlake Road, Cocoa, FL 32922-5703
|10:00 a.m.||Welcome and Introductions||T. Boroughs
|10:10 a.m.||Approval of November 10, 2011 Meeting Minutes||T. Boroughs|
|10:15 a.m.||Status of FSEC Programs||J. Fenton|
|10:25 a.m.||Discussion of Federal energy issues/legislation/policy||T. Boroughs
|10:40 a.m.||Discussion of possible energy legislation/policy in Florida
|11:30 a.m.||Opportunities in Electric Cars and Building Energy Efficiency||P. Fairey
|1:00 p.m.||Policy Brainstorming||T. Boroughs|
|1:30 p.m.||Board Business
Attendees: John Anderson, Addison Bain, David Block, Michael Burroughs, Griff Carrison, Pat Christiansen, Mike Faas, Philip Fairey, Jim Fenton, Steve Gorman, Bill Greco, Nick Guarriello, Al Harms, Larry Hufford, Mary Huggins, Steve James, Colleen Kettles, Syd Kitson, Buck Martinez, Roger Messenger, Kevin Noonan, Mark Ogles, Alan Oyler, Joe Parsons, Ali Raissi, Bob Reedy, Hal Roberts, Louis Rotundo, Sherri Shields, Sharon Smeenk, Rob Vieira, Lynda Weatherman, David Winslow
Tommy Boroughs attended via telephone.
- Chairman Louis Rotundo called meeting to order at 10:10 a.m. Introductions were made by PAB members, guests and FSEC staff.
- Minutes were passed out from last meeting and will be approved after lunch. It was noted that all approved minutes are posted on website.
- Jim Fenton mentioned the death of Subrato Chandra, former FSEC Buildings Division researcher, before presenting an update of FSEC programs (https://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/about/pab/2012-02-10/FSEC_2011Update.pdf). Fenton highlighted the following: Building America Research, High Performance Existing Homes, Building Training Programs, Photovoltaic Manufacturing Consortium (Initial PVMC cSi Program Areas), Regional Test Center at UCF Orlando (Fenton thanked UCF administration for their support), SunSmart Schools, FSEC Solar Training Programs – PV, SWH, Train-the-Trainer, and the Employ Florida Banner Center for Clean Energy, Biomass to Liquid Fuels and Fuel Cell related projects.
- Discussion followed on these topics.
- Fenton discussed federal and military grants.
- Handout listing 11 proposal points as given by Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putman and a comparison of those points with House Bill 7117 (https://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=49043) and Senate Bill 2094 (https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2012/2094) was passed out.
- Kitson spoke on the Sustainable Community Demonstration Project Act. (HB 1391/SB 1878) Babcock Ranch, 18,000-acre planned development, is prepared to start in the 4th quarter, waiting for bill to get through House and Senate.
- Fenton discussed HB 4013/SB 238 – Florida Renewable Fuel Standard Act and HB 779/SB 238 – Electric Energy Production.
- Fenton gave a PowerPoint presentation on Florida Opportunities (https://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/about/pab/2012-02-10/Fenton-Fairey-Presentation_PAB_02102012.pdf) focused on use of electric cars in Florida powered by residential energy savings and Florida Manufactured solar to electric (Photovoltaic) panels. Fenton also showed the video Drive for Free (https://vimeo.com/24514610). Fairey presented an opportunity to improve the energy efficiency of our homes by coupling energy retrofits with the installation of replacement air conditioners
- Adjourned for lunch at 12:05.
- Reconvened from lunch at 12:55.
- Rotundo asked Board how to get the message out on energy use/efficiency and how to reach Legislature. Discussions followed.
- Fenton suggested a consumer website sponsored through Putnam’s office.
- Hufford suggested quarterly announcements of items worth pursuing to the Legislature.
- Link messages with economic development.
- One or two board members work with Fenton/Fairey to come up with ideas to bring to the Legislature and a game plan to how to deliver ideas.
- Carrison mentioned how Caribbean area hotels write up examples of success stories.
- Work with South Florida agriculture and sugar markets.
- Talk to military about opportunities.
- Items to discuss at next PAB meeting include educational outreach, happenings in Legislature, and military contacts.
- Policy Advisory Board Business: Several years ago the length of office for chairman position was extended to four years. A motion was made for the following: 1) Chairman – change the term length back to two years; 2) Vice chairman – length of office two years with possibility of moving up the chairman position and 3) Chairman will form a nominating committee for the board officers. Tommy Boroughs will select nominating committee.
- Motion was moved, seconded and approved unanimously.
- Bylaws will be updated to reflect these changes.
- Discussion was made on the matter of someone missing three meetings in a row, should that person be dismissed from Board. Fenton said he usually contacts person in these situations.
- Rotundo posed question of what is the purpose of the Policy Advisory Board and this should be discussed at next meeting. Should the Board be ambassadors to the state in prompting energy efficiency and renewable energy?
- Minutes of November 10, 2011 meeting were approved.
- Fenton passed out a two-page article from C&EN (Chemical & Engineering News), Long History Of U.S. Energy Subsidies (https://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/about/pab/2012-02-10/longhistory-article.pdf).
- Discussion on when next PAB meeting should be scheduled; summer, next fall or tie in with meeting at UCF event. No decision was made.
- Meeting adjourned at 1:55 p.m.